Sunday, June 7, 2015

1987 Clearwater Phillies


While it would be obvious that in the 28 years since this schedule was first released schedules would go through many changes. One of the many changes I have noticed over time is very obvious in this particular schedule. In many of the 80's schedules I have there is a sponsor listed someplace on the front of the schedule. Few are used like this one, where the sponsor is possibly more important than the team. It's an interesting part of the hobby that I've started to realize the more, and more I add older schedules in the collection.

When this started, and when it ended is something I've never looked into, but maybe one day I'll give it a full look. What I do know is a couple MLB teams still have these as they have become vital additions to collectors for those teams. One of these I collect myself, and will eventually share both here, and on the main blog.


With the cover not giving the full picture I thought that this schedule needed the full view. Back in the 80's schedules aren't the masterpieces they are today. During the early days schedules were just that, a schedule of the games with some containing the ticket prices. Now they are full of information such as pictures of the field that let you know which section costs how much, and where things are located. Many have added more sponsors to the inside with full advertising. Things like these old schedules are another of the fun things that show how far baseball has come like all the other things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment